Family Histories

Family Histories for the Rose and Kirkpatrick Families

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Family History

For the past several years, I have slowly been gathering information about my family history.  Whoever said that genealogy is a hobby bordering on an obsession is right.  The more I learn, the more I want to learn.  With a couple of notable exceptions, our family history is unexceptional.  We seem to mostly be of Scots-Irish descent, working people, farmers, laborers, average folks.  We seem to have been in this country for many generations, since the 1600s and 1700s in most cases, migrating from Virginia to Maryland to the Carolinas to Tennessee, Georgia, Arkansas and Alabama.   I am especially fascinated with the old photographs I have managed to gather, from family members and from surprising sources I've connected with online.  Seeing the faces of the people we came from is really a wonderful connection to your own history.  Ancestry.com has been a tremendous source for getting the usual information, like census records, tax records, birth, marriage and death, but also in finding stories that tell about the lives of our families, and locating distant cousins who often have information and pictures to share.  I'm hoping to begin by putting down facts and adding pictures that I have, and later adding more personal information and any more photos that I may come across.  My intention is to organize the information I have into some logical form so that I can share it with family.
I'm hoping to organize my information, pictures, stories, etc. in a format that I can share.  The two photos here are of my great-grandparents and grandparents on my mother's side of the family.  The top photograph is the Stanfill family; Jesse Carl, Drusie and their children (l-r):  James Avery, Delsie, Robert Lechter, Lincoln, Rhoda and baby George, my grandfather, in his mother's lap.  This was likely taken in 1904, the year he was born, in Madison County, Arkansas.  Notice Jesse is holding one arm over the other; my mother said that he lost a hand in an accident and it is never shown in photos.

  The bottom picture is the Stroud family; William Farley (Farl), Sarah, Earl and Easie Mae, my grandmother, on her father's lap.  This was probably taken about 1905 in Madison County, Arkansas.  They would have another daughter, Beulah, about 9 years later.

No comments:

Post a Comment