Family Histories

Family Histories for the Rose and Kirkpatrick Families

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

George Newton Stanfill

The youngest of Jesse and Drusie's chidren, George was born on May 4, 1904 in Madison County, Arkansas, and died in Nowata County, Oklahoma on August 30, 1941.  He married Easie Mae Stroud, the daughter of William Farl and Sarah Stroud on November 20, 1925.  They had two children, Francis Eugene and Joyce Sue.  

Joyce Sue, George, Easie & Eugene, probably 1939-1940

George and Easie briefly lived in Caneyville, Kansas after their marriage, before returning to Madison County.  He did not have much success in farming, and in the mid-1930's, they moved to Oklahoma and opened a grocery store in Nowata, and then one in Chelsea and Vinita.   This story appeared on the Nowata County Genealogy website:

The little crossroads grocery store and post office at Coody's Bluff stood five miles east of Nowata, at the intersection of highway 60 and 28. Mr. and Mrs. Richard Roba Briggs operated a small grocery business there during the thirties. They were forced out of business by peoples inability to pay their bills during the depression. Mr. Richard Briggs worked in several grocery stores in Nowata, until in 1940, George Stanfill stocked the Coody's Bluff store again, as a joint operation with Briggs. Mr. and Mrs. Richard Briggs would run the country store, while the Stanfills continued with their Nowata store. Later, the Coody's Bluff post office was moved there, with Briggs as Post Master. Mrs. Briggs was his assistant. He held this post until he retired at the age of 70. Ruth Setzer obtained the Post Master potion, and the Briggs's continued with the store.
Richard Roba Briggs bought out George Stanfill's part in the business in the forty's and I am sure many people can identify with this little corner, as it provided groceries, gasoline, mail service, and a visiting place for a number of years. The Briggs's weren't newcomers to that area, as they operated a store in the old Henry Armstrong building half a mile north of Coody's Bluff for a few years. 

Eugene, George, Joyce Sue & Easie

George became ill in the summer of 1941 with
encephalitis.  He was treated at the small hospital in Vinita, Oklahoma and my grandmother said that
the doctors contacted other hospitals in an attempt to
treat him, but they were unsuccessful.  While  no one
knows how he contracted it, it is possible it happened
when he was driving his car through the flooded Verdigris River and had to get out to get the car through.   He died on August 30.   His funeral was held in Nowata and he was then buried at the Alabam Cemetery in Madison County.  Years later, my grandmother had him moved back to the cemetery in Nowata, where she is now buried next to him.
Joyce Sue, George & Eugene

The following obituary appeared in The Madison County Record:

George Stanfill, age 37 years, died Saturday, Aug. 30, in  a hospital at Vinita, Okla. after a brief illness.  Funeral service was conducted by Rev. Corwin, Baptist pastor, at the Benjamin Funeral Home in Nowata, where the deceased resided, and interment was made in the cemetery at Alabam, Ark., Wednesday, Sept. 3 at 2:00 o'clock p.m.  Rev. Jake Drake conducting the service and the Benjamin Funeral Home, assisted by the Bruce Bradshears Undertaking Company, directing the arrangements.  The pallbearers were Bursee Reeves, Herman Culwell, Douglas Stroud, Dewey Harris, Hill Everett and J.R. Warren.
 Mr. Stanfill was a native of this county and resided in same until moving to Oklahoma nine years ago.  He was engaged in the mercantile business at Notwata and other places before.  His survivors are his wife, Easie Stroud Stanfill, and two children, Joyce Sue and Eugene; also his parents, Mr. and Mrs. J.C Stanfill of Chelsea, Okla., and two brothers, L.W. Stanfill of Chetona, Kansas and B.L. Stanfill of Albuquerque, N.M., and two sisters, Mrs. J. W. Swaim of Fayetteville and Mrs. A.J. West of Huntsville. 
telegram from Easie's sister after George's death

After his death, Easie continued to run the grocery store.  Less than a month later, the store caught fire and burned to the ground.  She rebuilt it and continued to run the store until her remarriage in 1946.   

No comments:

Post a Comment