Family Histories

Family Histories for the Rose and Kirkpatrick Families

Monday, July 30, 2012

Habersham County, Georgia


I visited the courthouse in Clarkesville, the town my grandmother, Mary Fuller spent part of her childhood in.  This is the town her parents lived in when she was adopted.  I was hoping that I might find something that referenced her adoption in the probate records, but there was nothing.  I imagine those records were sealed.   We did find some interesting records regarding the purchase and sale of land, the seizure of property owned by my great-grandfather in Cornelia, GA and a court case involving my great-grandmother running up a nice bill in a store and refusing to pay (she lost the case).   I also found a copy of their marriage record.  Mamie was only 18 when she married Span, but she was "Mrs. Hall" on the record, so she was either widowed or divorced already.  No luck so far in finding any information on that marriage.
December 24, 1878
I was also able to get a copy of Span's obituary:
March 27, 1937
My grandmother's last name is misspelled - it was Rose.  The "Capt." refers to his having been the Chief of Police (family history says, although I can't find any record of it) in Anderson, SC.


No comments:

Post a Comment