Family Histories

Family Histories for the Rose and Kirkpatrick Families

Monday, September 3, 2012

Food

Food is an important thing to me.  I like to eat, but I also like to read about it, shop for it, cook it -- basically, I just like food.  My grandmother Easie was a wonderful cook and my memories of visiting her and being at her home always seem to involve some sort of food, and usually one that was sweet.  There was a deep freeze in the utility room, where the cooking was done on an old gas stove and oven (the kitchen oven and stove weren't used; in fact, the oven held boxes of cereal).  The freezer was literally full of baked goodies, fruit, cassaroles - probably enough food to last for months.  Earlier this year, I borrowed some of her old cookbooks from my mother and picked out some recipes to put into a sort of cookbook to be given to the younger generation of the family.  As I went through the recipes, I discovered a few things; (1) my grandmother really like cherry desserts - there were at least a dozen variations on cherry pudding and cherry pie; (2) she also had a thing for pineapple, mostly in "jello salads," (3) there was a disturbing amount of Dream Whip and Cheez Whiz in these recipes.  I'm guessing a lot of them were from the 1970's, maybe the golden era of processed foods.  The cookbook has yet to materialize, although I do have quite a few recipes on my computer and the best intentions to get it done.  However, I do think that I will put a few here.  And I'll begin with the one that our family associates most with her, which is Banana Cake.  This cake is really good.  You can frost it with a cream cheese frosting, or one that she used to make that was a can of evaporated milk, a teaspoon of vanilla and enough powdered sugar to create a consistency you could frost it with.


Banana Nut Cake
(Easie Berry – Her Favorite)

1 2/3 cups sugar
2 ½ cups cake flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 ¼ teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2/3 cup Crisco*
1 ¼ cups overripe bananas, mashed
2/3 cup buttermilk
2 eggs
2/3 cup chopped pecans
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

* Can substitute 2/3 cup of butter or do 1/3 cup Crisco and 1/3 cup butter.  Butter should be softened.

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Lightly spray two round cake pans or one 9x13 pan with cooking spray.

Mash bananas and set aside.

In large bowl, sift together flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and baking soda.  Add Crisco or butter and mix well.  Add mashed bananas and mix well. 

After mixing bananas into batter, add 1/3 cup of buttermilk and mix very well.  Add remaining 1/3 cup of buttermilk and mix.  Beat in eggs one at a time.  Add vanilla and mix.  Fold in chopped pecans.

Bake for approximately 20-30 minutes.  (Original recipe just says to bake until done)

No comments:

Post a Comment