Family Histories

Family Histories for the Rose and Kirkpatrick Families

Friday, March 15, 2013

Family Recipe Friday - Vinegar Pie

Vinegar pie is a dish that originated before fruit was readily available year round.  The pie is supposed to taste somewhat like a lemon pie.  It sort of does, but not exactly.  It was fun to try it, but I don't think I'll be making it again.  This recipe was handed down from my great-grandmother.



Vinegar Pie
(Grandmother Stroud’s recipe)
 
1 pie crust, blind baked
2 eggs
6 tablespoons white vinegar
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons butter, softened
1 cup water
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon lemon extract
Mix ingredients together in a saucepan and cook until thickened.  Pour into baked pie crust and refrigerate until ready to serve.
 

2 comments:

  1. I've always wondered about the sourness of vinegar pie- I would probably need a whole lot more sugar!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thinking this would be interesting to try and then reread your comments. If you won't be making it again, that says something. Still, I might try it. Thanks for sharing.
    http://rheayeakleygenealogy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete