Family Histories

Family Histories for the Rose and Kirkpatrick Families

Sunday, June 2, 2013

Oakland Cemetery

I had the opportunity to visit Oakland Cemetery in downtown Atlanta yesterday.  I was looking for some specific graves of non-family members; unfortunately, I didn't locate them. (the cemetery does provide you with maps and will find the grave you are looking for, however, the sections and lots are not marked within the actual cemetery. It's very large and that makes it hard to find anyone if you aren't familiar with the layout.) But I completely enjoyed just walking around and seeing the amazing statues, mausoleums and graves.  And I'm going back in the fall, because walking around Oakland in the hot summer is not conducive to taking the whole thing in.



Confederate Cemetery

Unknown Confederate Dead Monument
Grave of "Gone With the Wind" author Margaret Mitchell



No comments:

Post a Comment