Family Histories

Family Histories for the Rose and Kirkpatrick Families

Thursday, April 24, 2014

Treasure Chest Thursday - Great-Grandmother's Quilts

Several years ago, my mother gave me a few quilts made by her grandmother, Sarah Stroud.  Unfortunately, not all of them survived the years without a lot of wear and tear, but I do have two that are still in good condition.  When my children were younger, I was afraid to use them, but now I'm looking for a place to put them out.  Like a lot of women at that time, my great-grandmother had a quilting frame that could be raised to the ceiling when not in use.  I imagine this is how many of our female ancestors did their quilting. 
Getting together to work on quilts must have been one of the ways women were able to gather together and socialize while they did their work.  It looks like fun to me; I would love to be able to be a fly on the wall and hear their conversations as they sewed.
Looking at the fabrics used, I'm guessing these quilts were made in the 1920s or 1930s.  I wish I could hand sew as straight and perfect as these were done.  I make my quilts on a machine, otherwise they would never get done!

No comments:

Post a Comment