Family Histories

Family Histories for the Rose and Kirkpatrick Families

Saturday, September 12, 2015

Shopping Saturday - Stanfill Grocery & Market



This is a newspaper advertisement from the November 18 1943 Nowata Star for my grandmother's store, Stanfill Grocery & Market, in Nowata, Oklahoma.  How would we love to get 10 pounds of potatoes for 29 cents or pay 28 cents a pound for a pork roast?

The store was long gone before I was born, but I have a couple of pictures of the inside.  My mother is the little girl in the front; Grandma is the woman on the left.  My grandfather died in 1941 and the woman on the right, Velma, helped Grandma with the store and keeping the children and home while she worked.  Mom remembers Grandma working very long hours at the store and she and Velma would pack up a dinner to take to her at work.   

No comments:

Post a Comment