Family Histories

Family Histories for the Rose and Kirkpatrick Families

Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Tombstone Tuesday: Chestnut Cemetery, Apalachicola, Florida

I stumbled across this cemetery on vacation in nearby St. George Island.  Apalachicola is a small town on the Gulf of Mexico in the Florida panhandle, known for it's oysters.

Chestnut Cemetery is the oldest cemetery in town, with burials dating back to the early 19th century.  It has a Southern Gothic quality; Spanish moss drips from the trees, the fences surrounding the cemetery and some of the plots are rusted and falling, and many of the stones are broken and falling down.



There were a number of stones of people born in Greece, Ireland and Germany who must have immigrated to the area in the early 1800s.

Catherina Spano, wife of Italian immigrant Salvador Spano.  The 1900 census indicates she was born in the United States, the daughter of Irish immigrants.  Salvador is a fish and oyster dealer.  Catherina died later that year age age 46.  





Frederick Hoffman, born in Prussia in 1834, a seaman who died in Apalachicola in 1883 at age 49.
A small corner of the cemetery contains a number of unmarked graves and unreadable stones.  This may have been the burial place of slaves.  The below stone is Aunt Bella, "faithful servant of H. F. Simmons for over 40 years."  She was born in 1789 and died in 1852, having spent her entire life in slavery.  Henry F. Simmons (1784 - 1852), a farmer from Georgia and her owner,  is also buried in the cemetery.

Aunt Bella's grave

Henry F. Simmons grave

There are many children's graves in the cemetery and many of them were probably victims of malaria and yellow fever that periodically swept through the area. 

3 comments:

  1. How I Got My Loan From A Genuine And Reliable Loan Company

    My name is Mrs.Anna Daniel. I live in Ukraine and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of $220,000,00 and was scammed by those fraudulent lenders and a friend introduce me to Mr.James Eric, and he lend me the loan without any stress,you can contact him at (urgentfastloan@gmail.com)

    LOAN APPLICATION FORM:

    Full Name:................
    Loan Amount Needed:.
    Purpose of loan:.......
    Loan Duration:..
    Gender:.............
    Marital status:....
    Location:..........
    Home Address:..
    City:............
    Country:......
    Phone:..........
    Mobile / Cell:....
    Occupation:......
    Monthly Income:....
    Website You Heard About Us?......
    Email Him at: (urgentfastloan@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:{urgentloan22@gmail.com} Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

  3. GENUINE LOAN WITH LOW INTEREST RATE APPLY
    Do you need finance to start up your own business or expand your business, Do you need funds to pay off your debt? We give out loan to interested individuals and company's who are seeking loan with good faith. Are you seriously in need of an urgent loan contact us.Email: (urgentloan22@gmail.com)

    BORROWERS DATA FORM
    1)YOUR NAME:_______________
    2)YOUR COUNTRY:____________
    3)YOUR OCCUPATION:_________
    4)YOUR MARITAL STATUS:_____
    5)PHONE NUMBER:____________
    6)MONTHLY INCOME:__________
    7)ADDRESS:_________________
    8)PURPOSE:_________________
    9)LOAN REQUEST:____________
    10)LOAN DURATION:__________
    11)CITY/ZIP CODE:__________
    12)HAVE YOU APPLIED FOR LOAN BEFORE?

    E-mail: (urgentloan22@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete